Wednesday, November 25, 2009

In Loving Memory of Leroy


My neighbor Leroy died last night. He always had a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. He always tried to help me fix stuff like my lawn mower and water faucet. When he thought my dandelions needed mowing, he’d say, “Nice crop of yellow flowers you’ve got going over there.” We’d argue softly over politics and religion and never thought the worst of each other. His dog Nakita would chase my cat Ethel. He tried to give me a lot of knick-knacks that belonged to his third wife Nila. She died not too long ago and Leroy missed her terribly. I only accepted one garden statue that looks a bit like Snow White that I’ve named Nila. I drive past Nila in and out of my driveway and say hi to her. Now, if he’s right and I’m wrong, he’s in heaven now with all three of his past wives, and a big grin on his face. Here’s to ya, Leroy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home